- The economic value of woodland products to the region being increased.
- Woodlands playing a greater role in attracting tourism, inward investment and other economic activity.
Priority Topic: Renewable Energy
The Forestry Commission is heavily involved in promoting the use of woodfuel as a source of renewable energy which has many benefits including:
- It is a carbon neutral fuel (on combustion it only releases the amount of carbon that it absorbed during its lifetime)
- It provides a market for the ‘waste’ timber – many of the older broadleaf woodlands need trees to be felled to allow light to the woodland floor to increase the biodiversity of the woodland, yet the work is currently uneconomical as there is no market for the timber; consequently these woodlands are losing the variety of flora and fauna they would otherwise support, e.g. butterflies and ancient woodland indicator plants.
- It will provide jobs for local people for the benefit of the local economy.
Themes 1 to 3 can only be supported if Theme 4 is ensured:
The economic value of woodland products to the region being increased.
Woodlands playing a greater role in attracting tourism, inward investment and other economic activity.