- Get permission from the owner of the collection site, or their agent, before starting the work.
- Use the Land Information Search to find out if there are any designations or other sensitivities that might need to be taken into account.
Go to Land Information Search
- Give the following information to the Forestry Commission at least 14 days before collecting starts:
- Collector’s name, address and contact details
- Place of collection
- Gridreference of collection site
- Basic material reference in the National Register, or for source identified (SI) material,
region of provenance or seed zone (429k - pdf)
- Proposed date and duration of collection
- Apply for a Master Certificate for the seeds or cuttings. This must be done within nine months of collection or before marketing the FRM, whichever is earlier.
- Always Register with the Forestry Commission as a supplier before beginning a collection - use form FRM6
Forms and booklets
FRM 4A - Application form for Master Certificate - seed sources and stands (90k - pdf)
FRM 4B - Application form for Master Certificate - seed orchards or parent family (71k - pdf)
FRM 4C - Application form for Master Certificate - clones and clonal mixtures (76k - pdf)
FRM6 - How to register as a supplier (20k - pdf)
FRM7- Notification of Intention to Collect Seed