The statistics below have been superseded. The most recent statistics are available in Forestry Statistics 2016 and Forestry Facts and Figures 2016.
The latest National Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade: 2015 provisional figures, produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 19 May 2016 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
These statistics include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood and wood products for the UK for the calendar years 2011 to 2015.
The key points for 2015 from the latest release are (with percentage changes from 2014):
Removals (harvesting) of UK roundwood:
- 10.8 million green tonnes of softwood (-6%);
- 0.5 million green tonnes of hardwood (-1%);
- 0.9 million green tonnes of softwood under plant health legislation (+5%).
Deliveries of UK roundwood to wood processors and others:
- Total: 10.8 million green tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood) (-6%), of which:
- Sawmills: 6.2 million green tonnes (-8%);
- Wood-based panels: 1.3 million green tonnes (+4%);
- Integrated pulp and paper mills: 0.4 million green tonnes (-6%);
- Other uses, including round fencing, wood fuel, shavings and exports of roundwood: 2.8 million green tonnes (-4%).
Production of wood products in the UK included:
- 3.5 million cubic metres of sawnwood (-7%);
- 3.1 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (no change);
- 4.0 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (-10%);
- 0.3 million tonnes of wood pellets and briquettes (-3%).
- 6.3 million cubic metres of sawnwood (-2%);
- 3.2 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (-1%);
- 9.7 million cubic metres of wood pellets (+38%);
- 7.4 million tonnes of pulp and paper (+1%);
- The total value of wood product imports was £7.5 billion (+5%), of which £4.4 billion was pulp and paper (+4%).
- The total value of wood product exports was £1.6 billion (-5%), of which £1.4 billion was pulp and paper (-3%).
Coverage: United Kingdom
Geographical breakdown: Some statistics are available by country and English region
UK Wood Production and Trade: 2015 provisional figures
Tables in Excel format.
Longer time series data:
- Wood production (roundwood removals) - EXCEL/ PDF,
- UK roundwood deliveries - EXCEL/ PDF,
- UK sawmills - EXCEL/ PDF,
- Sawmills in England (regional results) - EXCEL/ PDF,
- Round fencing manufacturers - EXCEL/ PDF.
Statistician: Penny Donohue
Tel: 0300 067 5238
22 September 2016 (final results for 2015 - see Forestry Facts & Figures 2016 and Forestry Statistics 2016)
18 May 2017 (provisional results for 2016)
Information on pre-release access to Forestry Commission official statistics can be found on our pre-release access pages, including lists of the individuals who are given pre-release access to specific publications.
A review of the methodology used to estimate the quantity of UK softwood removals from woodland that is not owned or managed by the Forestry Commission (in Great Britain) or the Forest Service (in Northern Ireland) was undertaken in 2011-2012. The paper Methodology Review of Softwood Removals from Non-FC/ FS Woodland presents the results from this review and the implications of the change in methodology. UK Wood Production and Trade: 2011 provisional figures is the first release where the new methodology was used.
The statistics on timber and trade are also used to compile the UK’s Joint Forest Sector Questionnaire (JFSQ) and UNECE Timber Forecast Questionnaire (TF) returns for international organisations.
These timber and trade statistics are produced with the assistance and advice of the Expert Group on Timber and Trade Statistics.
Early provisional results are provided in the First Release UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures), published every May.
UK Wood Production and Trade: 2014 provisional figures
UK Wood Production and Trade: 2013 provisional figures
UK Wood Production and Trade: 2012 provisional figures
UK Wood Production and Trade: 2011 provisional figures
UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) - 2011 edition
UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) - 2010 edition
UK Wood Production and Trade (provisonal figures) - 2009 edition
UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) - 2008 edition
UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) - 2007 edition
UK Wood Production and Trade - 2006 edition
UK Wood Production and Trade - 2005 edition
UK Wood Production and Trade - 2004 edition
UK Wood Production and Trade - 2003 edition
UK Wood Production and Trade - 2002 edition
The final results are published every September in Foresty Statistics, and summarised in Forestry Facts and Figures.
In order to improve the statistics that we produce and to ensure that they remain relevant, we are interested in hearing from people who use our statistics. More information on how we consult users and contact details can be found on our user engagement page.