Learn more about biosecurity and the measures we can take to protect our trees with our free online courses.
This e-learning package was developed with input from the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), the Arboriculture Association and the British Association for Landscape Industries (BALI). We aim to outline the main current and potential tree pests and diseases and provide clear guidance on the most effective and appropriate biosecurity measures to use in different situations.
The course is divided into four 15 minute modules. At the end of each is a short test to establish your understanding of the subject. The pass mark for each test is 80% with the option to re-take the test if required.
Biosecurity awareness - Module 1
- explains the definition and principles of biosecurity
- explains why biosecurity is important from an environmental, social and financial perspective and
- provides examples of current and potential tree pests and diseases
Biosecurity dispersal pathways - Module 2
- provides historical data on pest and disease introductions to the UK
- outlines the various ways in which pests and diseases can be dispersed geographically
- explains means of dispersal in the forestry, horticulture and arboriculture sectors
Biosecurity measures - Module 3
- provides an overview of plant health law
- recommends responsible sourcing of planting stock
- outlines best practice for planning a site visit
- describes the correct methods of disposing of infected waste
Biosecurity personal controls - Module 4
- identifies the contents of a biosecurity kit
- gives examples of disinfectants and their preparation and use
- increases your understanding of your responsibilities in preventing the spread of pests and diseases by undertaking low or high risk biosecurity good practice
- details when and how to report pests and diseases
Contact us if you have problems finding anything or have questions or comments about the course modules or e-learning site.