The latest National Statistics on Timber Price Indices produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 14 May 2015 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Timber Price Indices are based on sales by the Forestry Commission and Natural Resources Wales and consist of the Coniferous Standing Sales Price Index and the Softwood Sawlog Price Index. They present data to March 2015 for Great Britain.
The key points from the latest release are:
- In the Coniferous Standing Sales Price Index:
- There has been an overall increase in the index over the last 12 years, following an overall decrease in earlier years.
- The index was 17.8% higher in real terms (19.8% in nominal terms) in the year to March 2015, compared with the previous year.
- The average price for coniferous standing sales was £18.48 per cubic metre overbark standing in nominal terms in the year to March 2015, an increase from £15.62 in the year to March 2014.
- In the Softwood Sawlog Price Index:
- There has been an overall increase over the last six years, following a long period of general decline.
- The index was 7.5% higher in real terms (9.0% higher in nominal terms) in the 6 months to March 2015, compared with the corresponding period of the previous year.
- The average price for softwood sawlog sales was £49.55 per cubic metre overbark in nominal terms in the 6 month period to March 2015, an increase from £44.06 in the 6 months to September 2014 and £45.45 in the 6 months to March 2014.
Coverage: Great Britain
Geographical breakdown: None
Timber Price Indices: Data to March 2015
Quality Report: Timber Price Indices
Methodology Paper (August 2008):
Methodology for the Coniferous Standing Sales Price Index
Statistician: Sheila Ward
Tel: 0300 067 5238
5 November 2015 (data to September 2015)
19 May 2016 (data to March 2016)
Information on pre-release access to this publication can be found on the pre-release access page.